Mums in Mind
** Please note this service is not currently accepting referrals **
Becoming pregnant or being a new mum is a life changing experience for any woman. Pregnancy and new motherhood is often imagined to be a time of great joy and happiness. However, the reality for many mums is often far from this.
For many women being pregnant or a new mum can be an overwhelming, frightening, and stressful time especially for those experiencing mental ill health and/or who lack support of family and friends.
Mums in Mind are there to help pregnant women and mums to increase their social and support networks, improve their confidence and self-esteem, and to help improve their emotional wellbeing.
Who is Mums in Mind for?
Mums in Mind is a service for women over 16 who are pregnant or who have a child under one year. The service may especially benefit those who:
- Are experiencing antenatal or postnatal depression or anxiety
- Feel lonely or isolated
- Lack the support of close family and friends
- Are single
- Are young
- Have suffered with anxiety or depression in the past
- Are in a difficult/abusive relationship or have been in the past
- Have low self-esteem/ confidence
What’s on offer?
Carefully selected and trained volunteers will be able to offer new mums-to-be:
- Regular one to one emotional and practical support, encouragement and friendship
- Home visits or one to one support in a community setting
- Sessions tailored to individual needs offering a space to talk and offload
- Support and information about accessing other services
- Encouragement around self-help
Peer Support/Short Course
This course provides an opportunity to:
- Make friends
- Meet other mums
- Have a place to talk and share
- Learn relaxation techniques and coping skills
- Increase awareness of emotional wellbeing during pregnancy and motherhood
Baby Massage is offered to mums/carers whose baby is 0-1 years old (or up to crawling). The course is run over 4 weeks and taught by a Certified Infant Massage Instructor on a demonstration doll. There are many possible benefits for mum/carer and baby, including:
- Relaxation and longer sleep.
- Relief from colic, constipation and wind.
- Reduced crying and emotional distress.
- Helps baby to feel securely attached.
- Increased confidence as a mum/carer.
- Shows baby how to feel loved, valued and respected.
- Valuable one-to-one time with your baby.
How to access the service
Unfortunately the Mums in Mind service is not currently accepting referrals.